Here is the Job Posting: The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Planner position. The successful candidate must possess exceptional skills in performing planning and zoning activities. He/she will work with the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals and will develop staff reports, make recommendations on a wide range of planning and zoning topics. A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in city planning, public administration, architecture, engineering or closely related field. Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in fields of planning, zoning or development profession, serving in a regulatory capacity; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia’s driver license.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and your current salary to Careers@brookhavenga.gov.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer. Below is a copy of the full job description.
The purpose of this job is to perform planning and zoning administrative duties to guide growth and development for the City of Brookhaven. These tasks will be performed in accordance with the City’s Comprehensive Plan, development regulations and zoning ordinances. He/she will work with the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals and will be responsible for developing staff reports and recommendations on a wide range of planning and zoning topics.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTY:
- Provides leadership and management for all the functions within the Planning & Zoning department.
- Directs and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities.
- Develops short and long range plans; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations.
- Administers the city’s zoning, development, and tree ordinances.
- Leads and coordinates the review of subdivision plans with developers, engineers, planning staff, other city employees, and the general public; prepares reports for presentation to the Planning Commission; records and maintains minutes of Planning & Zoning Commission proceedings.
- Reviews and prepares zoning/variance reports for presentation to the Planning & Zoning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Reviews all special land use, variance, zoning applications and site plans for compliance with the zoning and other related ordinances; conducts on-site inspections as needed.
- Provides administrative support to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals by preparing the agenda, meeting packets, and all correspondence; serves on staff committees as assigned.
- Reviews, analyzes, and interprets laws, rules, regulations and ordinances.
- Drafts amendments to the zoning ordinance as required.
- Ensures that land uses are located in proper zones and in compliance with zoning ordinances.
- Conducts research and prepares statistical reports on land use, physical, social & economic issues.
- Coordinates with code enforcement staff to ensure that all signs are in compliance with construction, location, and setback requirements.
- Prepares zoning verification correspondence and answers public inquiries regarding zoning and land development issues.
- Performs maintenance of GIS zoning data of a routine nature using ArcGIS or similar software.
- Advises the Community Development Director and Planning and Zoning Manager on planning matters.
- Attends professional development workshops and conferences to stay current with community development trends.
- Seeks out planning and development methods and means to improve the quality of development and quality of life in the community.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and trends in planning, zoning, land use, and inspection.
- Knowledge of the city’s zoning ordinance and land development regulations.
- Skill in the use of a personal computer and word processing, spreadsheet, atabase, and GIS software packages.
- Skill in the use of drafting equipment.
- Skill in preparing and delivering public presentations as well as written communication; correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Skill in reviewing site plans and subdivision plats.
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in the use of such office equipment as a calculator, copier, facsimile machine, and telephone.
- Creative problem-solving skills to gather relevant information to solve less well- defined planning problems.
- Exercise sound and effective judgment within established guidelines
- Organize, coordinate, and complete duties to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Perform routine arithmetic calculations.
- Work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to manage projects effectively and meet firm deadlines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
- The City Planner has a primary focus on providing superior customer service to the citizens and customers of the City of Brookhaven in handling a variety of issues. Incumbents in this classification must maintain professionalism and courtesy when exposed to stressful situations and may be assigned complex projects requiring independence of thought, initiative, and implementation.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in city planning, public administration, architecture, engineering or closely related field. Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in fields of planning, zoning or development profession in a regulatory capacity; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia’s driver license.