He/ she will perform advanced secretarial and administrative work for the City Executive. He/she will manage multiple projects simultaneously from beginning to end while exercising independent thinking and good judgment. To provide excellent customer service to an extensive number of walk-in customers as well as callers and through electronic communications.
Two years of study at an accredited college or university, and three years of experience performing work related to the described duties; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which requires the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities to perform this job.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and your current salary to Careers@brookhavenga.gov.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer. Below is a copy of the full job description.
TITLE: Executive Administrative Assistant
DEPARTMENT: City Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Performs advanced secretarial and administrative work for the City Manager and Mayor. To provide excellent customer service to an extensive number of walk-in customers as well as callers and through electronic communications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answers phone and directs all incoming calls to appropriate party promptly and efficiently.
- Manages office details by relieving executive management of routine request and matters.
- Performs special projects as needed by the City Manager and/or Mayor.
- Prioritizes and manages multiple projects simultaneously and follow through on issues in a timely manner.
- Reviews and summarizes miscellaneous reports and documents.
- Schedules and coordinates calendar and appointments.
- Coordinate complex meetings, assist in the design and preparation of presentations and other meeting materials.
- Arrange travel, prepare itineraries including air and ground transportation, hotel reservations and car rentals.
- Regularly organize meetings, appointments, conferences and calls with both internal and external business partners.
- Performs all other job-related activities as assigned.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE SKILL AND EXPERIENCE:
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Exercises discretion and sound judgment, maintains confidentiality.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task effectively.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team environment when required, high degree of tact.
- Ability to work independently and proactively, demonstrates initiative.
- Exercise independent thinking and good judgment.
- Ability to interpret policies, administrative regulations, legislation and accurately explain to others.
- Ability to maintain confidentially and exercise considerable skill in handling sensitive information and data.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, grammatically correct letters, memos, staff meeting minutes and other written documents.
- The work of this position is directed by the City Manager.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations which does not create undue hardship will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Two years of study at an accredited college or university, and three years of experience performing work related to the described duties; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which requires the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities to perform this job.
Computer Skills: Must thoroughly understand and be able to use advanced computer program skills to include the Microsoft Office Suite, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, budget and desktop publishing programs.
Language Skills: Ability to understand, give and follow oral and written instructions; read, analyze, and interpret correspondence, reports and other general and specialized data; respond to citizen queries by telephone, in writing or electronically; research and prepare reports and correspondence; communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, and citizens; take and transcribe minutes, must be able to completely prepare correspondence using appropriate business writing style; possess extensive knowledge of English language rules, spelling, punctuation, and style.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Ability to format algebraic formulas and percentages. Understand and apply common units of measurement; apply accounting principles and practices.
Reasoning Ability: Apply principles of logical thinking to define and solve problems; exercise judgment and discretion with regard to city and department policies and procedures; work with limited supervision; ability to carry out detailed instructions and deal with problems in a standardized, unexpected, and unsupervised situations. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information accumulated in the course of employment. Must maintain professional appearance.
Office Skills: Ability to operate a variety of office equipment to include but not limited to calculator, fax, copier, computer, postage machine, printers, credit card machine and video projector.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
- The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
- Employee will be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.