Brookhaven, GA, November 25, 2014 – by Trey Benton – The City of Brookhaven is currently asking qualified vendors to submit their qualifications as well as written quotes to renovate the aged pavilion located in Blackburn Park. Once all the bids are in (deadline is 11/26 @ 2pm), the City will then select a vendor and subsequently negotiate a contract.
Many locals use the pavilion for picnics, cook-outs, etc., and during summer and school months, the Cowart Family YMCA sometimes uses the pavilion as a “base-camp” for their after school and camp programs – giving the kids a place to get under a shade structure while they wait for their parents to come pick them up.
On June 19, 1986, the pavilion, a.k.a. “the Blackburn Park Picnic Shelter” was dedicated and made possible through the cooperative efforts of DeKalb County, the State of Georgia and the Ashford-Dunwoody YMCA.
Some of the improvements the city has identified as needed for the pavilion are:
- Pressure wash the roof under decking and all exposed wood components.
- Pressure wash the concrete slab and all tables/benches.
- Replace damaged wood components, trim and fascia on the supporting columns.
- Install additional trim on the upper part of the column, similar to that existing on the base.
- Replacement of any damaged roof decking with fitted non T&G planking.
- Stain all exposed wood components.
- Apply and seal/clear coat all exposed wood components.
- Remove and dispose of the existing roof shingles.
- Install 30# felt underlayment on roof decking.
- Install 26 gauge pre-painted (Hunter Green) standing seam metal roof with drip edge and all related flashing. The panels will be 16”wide smooth panel with 1 ½”snap-lock –seams and hidden fasteners.
- Install 6”pre-painted (Hunter Green) seamless aluminum k-style gutters with hidden hangers and a minimum of four downspouts.