Sue Binkert, Co-Director of PARC, said, “I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Earth Day than helping improve our parks! We hope the community will get out and enjoy the parks this month and contribute a couple of hours to their care.”
PARC Brookhaven, which stands for Parks and Recreation of Brookhaven, is a coalition of Brookhaven citizens comprised of representatives from each of Brookhaven Parks’ “Friends” groups & Conservancies as well as at large members. Its mission is to create world class parks and recreation for Brookhaven’s citizens by communicating, promoting park improvement, and uniting the City’s resources.
Details on time, meeting location, what to wear, what to bring, and contact information for the various park events are published on the Parc Brookhaven website, http://www.parcbrookhaven.org .
Individual Park Activities
- Briarwood Park Conservancy will kickoff the Earth Day events on Saturday morning, April 16. Briarwood Park Conservancy will be planting three raised landscape beds, cleaning up the Community Garden, and performing invasive plant removal.
- Murphey Candler Park Conservancy will host an Earth Day food truck event at Murphey Candler Park on the evening of Earth Day, Friday, April 22, that is open to the public.
On Saturday morning, April 23, volunteer events will take place at four of Brookhaven’s parks: Murphey Candler, Brookhaven Park, Blackburn Park, and Ashford Park:
- The Murphey Candler Conservancy will lead community volunteers in performing invasive plant removal and limb and trash pickup at Murphey Candler Park starting at 9 a.m.
- The Brookhaven Park Conservancy will host volunteers at 10 a.m. who will repaint park benches and pick up trash throughout Brookhaven Park. Students from Oglethorpe University, a neighbor of Brookhaven Park, will join Brookhaven Park Conservancy and other community volunteers to support the Earth Day work activities.
- Friends of Blackburn Park will be working in its community garden after a 10 a.m. garden talk.
- Ashford Park’s Earth Day activities are being coordinated by Allison Hines of Operation Boot Camp Brookhaven who is also offering park volunteers a free workout for all fitness levels starting at 8:30am, followed by coffee and the park work activities at 9:30am.