Brookhaven, GA, November 28, 2016 – The Post Reports – The City of Brookhaven’s annual “Light Up Brookhaven” holiday event will be held on Thursday, December 8, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Blackburn Park located at 3493 Ashford Dunwoody Road. This FREE event features special musical performances, visits with Santa (parents welcome to take pics), Christmas & Hanukkah crafts, hot chocolate sale, refreshments and lighting of our Christmas tree and Hanukkah display.
Attendees are encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped gift for Toys for Tots. The City is also holding its first wreath contest. Winners will be announced during “Light Up Brookhaven,” and winning entries will be displayed at City facilities. The submission deadline for entries is December 3. For more information and wreath contest rules see below or click here.
Wreath Decorating Participant Guidelines:
- Participants will acquire wreath and all supplies to decorate on their own.
- Drop off decorated wreathes to Briarwood Community Center between December 1 and December 3rd.
- Contest is free and open to all citizens.
- No organic or perishable material may be used in the creation or construction of the submitted entry. When dropping off at Briarwood, participants will fill out an identification form so staff will know who each wreath belongs to. Judges will not see these during evaluation.
- No breakable/glass items or electric lights permitted. Battery operated lights are permitted but will not be turned on during judging. Secure all decorations firmly to the wreath.
- Wreaths may be constructed of any size up to 36” in diameter and 40” in length.
- Wreaths may not weigh more than 10 pounds.
- Judges will consist of 1 designated representative from each park friends/conservancy group.
- Judges will visit Briarwood on Dec. 5 and 6 and fill out an anonymous ballot to leave with staff who will tally the votes.
- Wreaths will be judged based on originality, arrangement and overall presentation.
Awards and Recognition:
- Contest winners will be notified by staff to attend the Lighting ceremony where the announcements will be made to unveil the top 3 entries.
- Award presentation will take place at Blackburn Park at the tree lighting on Dec. 8th.
- Ribbons will be presented for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
- The winning wreath will be displayed at City Hall while the other two will be taken to Lynwood and Briarwood Community Centers.
- Wreaths that are not distributed for display may be picked up at Briarwood Community Center on Dec. 9.
Questions? Call 404-637-0512