Brookhaven, GA, December 26, 2016 – The Post Reports – The City of Brookhaven is accepting resumes from highly qualified candidates to fill the position of Development Services Manager, a position reporting to the Director of Community Development. The Development Services Manager is a professional supervisory position who oversees the administrative support duties of the land development department and the building/construction permitting department.
Essential Job Functions Include:
- Directs the team leader, team trainer and project coordinator team ensuring accountability and compliance with policies and procedures; goals and objectives of the permitting staff.
- Serves as the technical resource person for activities and operations involving building and engineering permitting.
- Performs administrative tasks, supervision, training, disciplinary actions, and evaluation of department employees; coordinates and monitors all customer service/permitting functions to ensure the accomplishment of departmental schedules, goals and objectives. Ensures cross-training of permit staff.
- Supervises administrative duties, as dictated by the nature of the task, e.g., data entry, records keeping, filing, basic calculations, typing.
- Establishes the necessary controls and collection procedures for all permit fees.
- Supervises department fiscal/cashiering tasks, e.g., receives fees and payments for permitting, logs payments, and generates appropriate receipts.
- Coordinates the activities of staff, ensuring efficient office operations; oversees the daily operations of staff, delegate’s authority and responsibilities to staff ensuring accountability.
- Conducts staff meetings to ensure staff are informed and are given the opportunity to exchange ideas, discussing operational problems and solutions.
- Recommends hiring, promotion, discipline, and termination of staff.
- Performs functions related to forecasting, budgeting, and creating new initiatives, and ensures proper implementation of same; performs research and preparation of work programs relating to the department.
- Analyzes department trends, service levels and resources by tracking department activities and generating management reports.
- Assists the Director by monitoring operational expenses, trending revenue/income sources and developing departmental budgets.
- Serves as lead facilitator for the department’s continuous improvement initiatives, customer feedback processes, business plan and other performance measures.
- Creates management presentations and represents the City at public meetings and/or customer workshops.
- Enforces policies and procedures for the Permit department to promote maximum office efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensures departmental compliance and verify accuracy of documents, forms and applications required for permitting.
- Answers escalated inquiries and requests from the general public and business community, through friendly, professional customer service skills, ascertaining the needs of the customer and providing appropriate assistance and information.
- Verifies accuracy of departmental information and filing systems, i.e., documents and files various licenses, titles and registrations; organizes and maintains file systems; records all currency transactions.
- Ensures the proper documentation of commercial and private inspections and notifies appropriate work units, e.g., structural, electrical, mechanical, plumbing building/development.
- Creates, implements, and reviews various monthly and annual summary reports, e.g., permit records, inspections, fee collections, certificate of occupancy, certificate of completion, plan reviews.
- Provides leadership through effective objectives setting, delegation and communication.
- Develops and implements business plan initiatives for the department.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The successful candidate must possess exceptional skills in performing technical inspections of development sites and construction projects to determine compliance with all codes and regulations regarding erosion and sediment control, grading, clearing, drainage, landscaping, infrastructure and stream buffers.
A Bachelor’s degree is required along with a minimum of eight (5) years of professional experience in construction or engineering inspections. Must have five (5) years of supervisory experience and hold a Level 1B Erosion Control Inspector and Level II Certified Plan Reviewer, state certifications.
A full job description with instructions on how to apply can be found here.