Chamblee, GA, January 20, 2017 – The Post Reports – The date is set and Early Bird Registration has opened for the 2017 Chamblee Fun Mud Run, which will be will be held on Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 8 a.m. at Chamblee Middle School. Celebrating its third year, the Chamblee Fun Mud Run 5K race features climbing and crawling obstacles, water features, mud pits, and fun for all ages. The Chamblee Fun Mud Run is co-hosted by Chamblee Middle School (CMS), the City of Chamblee and DeKalb County Fire & Rescue. Presenting Sponsor of the event, Ed Voyles Automotive Group, returns for the third consecutive year. All proceeds raised benefit the Chamblee Middle School Education Foundation (CMSEF).
The largest single fundraiser for Chamblee Middle School, the Chamblee Fun Mud Run has quickly grown for the past two years from 800 to 1,200 participants. This unique spin on your “everyday 5K” has become a community hallmark, not only drawing more runners, but additional volunteers, spectators and sponsors year after year.
“Building on the astounding success of the first two events, we are expecting 1,500 participants for the 2017 Mud Run, with a goal of raising more than $50,000. This will put us over the $100,000 mark of funds raised in just three years from the Chamblee Fun Mud Run,” said Kelly Morehouse, CMS Parent Volunteer and Race Director of the event. Race organizers are well on their way to reaching that target, with a total of $65,500 raised in the 2015 and 2016 Fun Mud Runs alone.
Since the inaugural mud pit claimed its first pair of old tennis shoes in 2015, the Chamblee Fun Mud Run monies have been used by the Chamblee Middle School Education Foundation to support students and teachers by funding:
- A pilot 21st Century Classroom, equipped with iPads and rolling white boards and tables for flexible working spaces and groups
- A pilot Student-Centered Classroom, equipped with Chromebooks and whiteboard easels
- iReady, an individualized curriculum software platform in reading and math for supplemental student support
- After-school tutoring for Georgia Milestones Testing preparation
- New technology including a combination of 50 laptops, iPads and Chromebooks for classroom use
- Additional Media Center PC workstations
- 15 Math Lab PC workstations
- iPads for ESL translation support
- ELA news subscription tailored to students’ reading levels with Social Studies and Language Arts content
- Print making press and supplies for Visual Arts classes
- Supplemental science books for 8th grade classes
- Sponsorship of two new Drone Competition Teams
- Conferences and training for teachers in STEM (Science, Technology, Enginerring and Math), foreign languages, and yearbook production
- New floor scrubber to keep the school clean and reduce illness and related absences
Eighth-grader Will Duncan, who has seen the benefits first-hand as a student in the model 21st century classroom and has participated in the last two Mud Runs said, “In middle school you’re expected to grow up fast. The Mud Run gives you a chance to just do something fun and act like a kid again while contributing to classroom improvements that have made a real difference in the learning experience like rolling white boards, new laptops, iPads and small group work stations.”
The Chamblee Fun Mud Run is open to the community and is recommended for children ages 8 and up, as well as older kids, teens and adults of all abilities. The 5K course winds through the Keswick Village and Sexton Woods neighborhoods as participants complete multiple obstacles that involve simple challenges. The 5K is a timed event. Participants receive a mud and water-proof ankle tag in their race bags.
There is a 3K (approx. 2 mile) Muddy Buddy race immediately following the Chamblee Fun Mud Run, recommended for kids ages 5-7 who are accompanied by an adults. Participants can opt to complete the obstacles and run a shorter course. The Muddy Buddy is not a timed event.
Early Bird Registration runs through Feb 28, 2017 with a $25 fee for the 5K and a $20 fee for the Muddy Buddy 3K.
- March 1-March 31: 5K = $30, 3K = $25
- April 1-26: 5K = $35, 3K = $30
- Online registration closes on Tues, April 26 at 11:59pm
- Walk up registration April 28-29: Either race = $40
For information and registration, please visit: http://chambleefunmudrun.com/